Monday, March 14, 2011

30 days

Has it seriously been a MONTH?

Things have been steadily ticking along over here as I try to figure out what is next. As we still probably have a couple months of favorable running weather left before the heat and humidity monsters set up camp for a few months, I'm not quite ready to declare "off season" but I also don't have anything serious on the books before summer starts.

Lee Ann is trying to persuade me to come up to Nashville for the Country Music Half (last weekend in April) and I am training "as if" I have half marathon that weekend. Truthfully, of the 4 half's I have run it stands out as my most miserable race for a variety of reasons so it's not necessarily a course I'm really dying to repeat. However, it's only a 3 hour drive and with the company of a friend maybe it's worth a redeeming shot.

I'm going to make a statement that's probably not going to be very popular, but I'm not really a fan of the Rock N Roll racing series. Yes, they are big races (which I like) but I think something about the over-mass production is a turn off for me and I notice that a lot of their routes are long out and backs which I think (for this kind of distance and race experience...13.1 or 26.2) is a cop out. One could say the same thing about a double loop course with no variation on a 26.2. At any rate, I feel like there is so much more to a city than a one street out and back and it feels like the race itself takes a back seat to the perceived glitz of the event. I've noticed multiple complaints about RnR routes in race reports as well, so I can't be the only one. I just got an email this week that they are making Vegas a night race, which I LOVE and would love to do, but the fact that it's RnR produced makes me reluctant to sign up.

So essentially, I need to hammer down a spring race or two before taking a little break from an official plan during which time I plan to maintain a 15 mile per week base and add 3 days of bootcamp to the mix (along with a minimum 1x week yoga class which I am currently attending). If all the stars align, I will kick off training for marathon #2 (hopefully NYC!) on July 4. I know that sounds like a long time away but it will be here before I know it.

This is how the rest of the calendar is shaping up:
March 17: Shake Your Shamrock (virtual 7K)
March 26: Rumpshaker 5K (Volunteering as a course marshall)
April 9: Diamond Dash
April 30 (MAYBE): Country Music Half Marathon
May 15: Warrior Dash (GA)
October 15: Race for the Cure 5K
November 6: NYC Marathon (hopefully)
November 24: Moore's Mill Turkey Trot 5K

What's missing? For me, I would like to do at least 3 total half marathons this year and 1 marathon. Once I figure out if NYC is a go, it will be a little easier to fill out the fall schedule. It just feels weird not to have a hard date on a few longer races. I know other 5Ks and 10Ks will be available (I am still chasing the 5K PR) and I can add these as they come up and work with my schedule. I would have done Atlanta half this coming weekend and had wanted to take the RRCA certification but I originally thought I was traveling to South Carolina for an event for Matt's family; however, that is now a no-go and we only found out two weeks ago so certification was filled and I was not mentally ready to push another half after a hard effort last month. I would also really like to do a relay but with the absence of 11 running friends to join me in the insanity, I'm a little stumped. If Vandy does Ragnar again and if they have room, I have an invitation to join Lee Ann's van so we'll see. Any ideas for races or experiences I should add? If not 2011 maybe 2012?

No comments:

Post a Comment