Monday, May 3, 2010

The Day I Became "a Runner"

It's something I may have mentioned in passing following Mercedes: that even despite the months of training, the clear obsession with all things running and having the official half under my belt, I still didn't feel like "a runner." Six more weeks passed as I kept up my training for Country Music/Nashville, logged countless more hours and added a second half marathon under my belt.

In the two (or so?) weeks leading up to Nashville, I "announced" that I was ready for a break from training since I had been religiously following some sort of plan since early November. I am as Type A as anyone, but it was wearing on me. Now, granted, I didn't really know what I meant by that statement but I envisioned more cross training (perhaps training for a tri?) and maybe a reduction in running.

I was sick and down for the count almost immediately following Nashville...not the type of sick I could "run through" and it was frustrating. I managed a walk/run with Matt and the pups last Thursday and a run/bike on Saturday. I missed my trail run with Amy yesterday due to weather and I would be lying if I said my legs (and mind) weren't itching to get out there. Fast forward to today: googling running maintenance plans and mentally strategizing how to maintain my mileage and ADD the possible x-training goals. I hit the gym for an easy 3 on the track (no treadmill!), followed by some time on the bike and was so truly happy to be running. As I was stretching afterwards, I realized that I couldn't imagine my life without running...there is just nothing I have found that truly challenges and rewards me physically and mentally every.single.time. And then it hit me. "I think I might actually be A RUNNER." :) Cheesy, I know, but I have to believe others know what I'm talking about. Now maybe when others classify me as such, I don't have to qualify their statements or feel like a poser, I can smile and agree :)

No comments:

Post a Comment