Friday, June 8, 2012

Impromptu racing...and a streak ends...and begins again

After a whirlwind week of "maid of honor-ing", work travel and catching up back at the office, I think I know my name again. But seriously...holy shite this has been a rough 7 day stretch. Total FWP, I know, and I am grateful for all that I have, but I'm pretty tired and ready to curl up on the couch tonight catching up on "Sister Wives" and other really bad TV.

That being said, "the streak" ended and began again in DC after I arrived too late to make it to the hotel gym (11:15p) though I picked it up the next morning with a 4.6(ish) mile run (according to g-map pedometer since I forgot to charge my Garmin) and then another 6+ miles of walking later that day. I had actually planned to run at home that Sunday morning but I woke up nauseous with a horrible migraine and went straight back to bed with just enough time to get packed and ready to head to the airport for my (delayed) flight to DC. I really would have hopped on the mill at 11:15p but I was staying at a boutique hotel and the gym truly was closed (I couldn't just access through a key card.) Anyway, not one to let a single day lost stop me, I'm back and committed to moving on through July 4.

A few cell phone pics from DC...


This is what happens when you ask a nice stranger to take your picture...he only gets the FEET in the background. Oh well!

 View from WWII Memorial looking towards the Washington Monument

I was zoomed in from across the street. I was originally trying to run where those tourists were and got yelled at by security/the Secret Service! I have probably never run so fast the other direction in my life!

So now, my latest "dilemma"...I got a notification Wednesday (either from BTC or Active or some such) about a 5K this weekend "Strides for Steel"  that advertised itself as all downhill (point to point) and FAST. I pretty much decided that I would probably sign up and do it and even though I haven't been doing any specific speed training and that it might be hotter than hades with a 9a start it might be a good place to try and FINALLY get my sub-30 5K. I know, maybe not particularly fast for most but it's still a 9:39 pace and fast for me and given course conditions maybe I could pull it off?

I was texting with Amy yesterday and we were trying to reschedule our running plans for this week and she mentioned that she was doing this same 5K this weekend. Hmmm....she is a great sport at letting me push her but I know her training hasn't been where she wants it lately and I don't know if she would be game for this.

So the question is: do I run with my friend or do I try to PR?  I have run many races with friends where the goal between us was clear (stick together no matter what, stick until someone needs to drop, run at different paces and meet at the end) and I always say there is a place for social running and goal running and it's important to have both. I would like to hang out with my friend but I also really want to get this sub-30 monkey off my back so I can move on for a little while! Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment