Friday, November 5, 2010

Please be careful out there

Especially as more and more of us are running in the dark due to shortened daylight hours this time of year, please, please be careful when sharing the road (either behind the wheel or pounding the pavement)

This morning the Dean of the College of Math and Sciences at Auburn University was killed while running on a road well-traveled by both runners and cars. (I crossed this very intersection the time I was home and ran with AORTA.) Please keep her running buddy in your thoughts as she was also struck and airlifted to a regional hospital. Edit: I just realized her running buddy, "Frankie", referenced in the article is my parent's next door neighbor. I knew the name sounded familiar but I never knew her last name. I just know she and her husband as "Frankie and Felix". I am friendly with them when I visit my parents but am not super close as F&F moved in after I graduated college. I talked to my dad and as of now there is no additional news.

April at Mommy's Fit for the King also had a close call this week and another member of the AORTA group (that I met/ran with) was hit by a car a few weeks ago and broke her shoulder.

I'm sure this happens more often than we would like to think but it makes me extremely sad every time I hear of an accident with a vehicle and runner/biker/etc. Very.very.sad.

Items with reflective tape. A flash light. A clip on blinking light. A headlamp. Whatever it takes. Please take care of yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment